This term we are very excited to be celebrating NAIDOC Week, which is held across Australia each July to celebrate the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. NAIDOC Week 2018 will be held nationally from Sunday 8 July and continue through to Sunday 15 July. As this is during our school holidays we will be celebrating NAIDOC Week in Week 8 and 9, from Friday 22 June- Friday 29 June. The theme of NAIDOC Week in 2018 is “Because of Her, We Can!”, which recognises that as pillars of our society, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women have played – and continue to play – active and significant roles at the community, local, state and national levels.
NAIDOC is celebrated not only in Indigenous communities, but by Australians from all walks of life. The week is a great opportunity to participate in a range of activities and to support your local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.
There are lots of events happening at Makybe and in our local community to celebrate NAIDOC Week.
NAIDOC Events at Makybe
- Students across the school will be learning about NAIDOC week every day in Week 9, with NAIDOC themed Morning Meetings and classroom activities
- The P&C is running a NAIDOC themed colouring in competition for K-2 students and poetry competition for years 3-6
- There will be NAIDOC Incursion from Indigenous WA for Pre-Primary to Year 2 on Friday 22 June and Thursday 19 July
- The Noongar Choir will visit us on Thursday 28 June
- Our NAIDOC Assembly will take place on Friday 29 June at 8:45 in the undercover area for students in Years 3-6, all families are welcome. We will enjoy a performance of Noongar songs from our school choir, a special guest speaker and a NAIDOC themed item by Rooms 30 and 33
- Some students will attend an excursion to the City of Rockingham NAIDOC Celebration
NAIDOC Events in our Community
- The Rockingham NAIDOC Celebration will be held at the Gary Holland Community Centre on Wednesday 28 June 2017 from 10.30am -1pm. Cultural performances, fun activities and food will be available. For more information, visit the City’s website rockingham.wa.gov.au
- Perth Cultural Centre NAIDOC Celebration Saturday, July 7, 2018 – 12:00 to Saturday, July 14, 2018 – 17:00
- NAIDOC Week at the Art Gallery of Western Australia- a variety of free events including guided tours dedicated to Indigenous women’s artwork on display at AGWA, a hands on collaborative children’s art activity and an artist talk by First Nation Badimaya artist Julie Dowling on Saturday 07 Jul 12:00pm – 05:00pm