The Department of Education does not permit student use of mobile phones and smart watches in public schools unless for medical or school directed educational purposes.
Makybe Rise Primary School recognises that an increasing number of parents/carers who for safety, security and/or emergency purposes wish to provide their children with mobile phones. This policy details the conditions under which mobile phones are permitted at Makybe Rise PS.
Conditions of Use
- The use of mobile phones for all students will be banned from the time they arrive at school to the conclusion of the school day. This includes before school and at break times. Students are not permitted to have mobile phones in their possession during the school day.
- Mobile phones must be switched off and handed to the classroom teacher at the commencement of the day. The teachers will store mobile phones and return them at the conclusion of the school day at 2.55 pm.
- Smart watches must be placed into flight mode from the commencement of the school day until the conclusion at 2.55pm.
- Student accessing BYOD in approved classrooms are not to access communication applications or record others without teacher permission.
Exemptions and Communication
- Exemptions to this ban include
where a student requires a mobile phone:
- to monitor a health condition as part of a school approved documented health care plan; or
- under the direct instruction of a teacher for educational purposes; or with permission of a teacher for a specified purpose.
- While at Makybe Rise PS students are the responsibility of the school. All communication between parents and students, during school hours, will occur via the school’s administration.
Breaches of this Policy
- Breaches of this policy will be managed in accordance with the School Behaviour Management Policy and Procedures.
- Students who do not comply with this policy will have their mobile phone confiscated and held at the administration office. The parent/carer will be informed and requested to collect the mobile phone at their earliest convenience.
|Note: For the purposes of this policy, ‘mobile phones’ includes smart watches and associated listening accessories, such as, but not limited to, headphones and ear buds.|